Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Top 5 Albums of 2009

I know i'm a little late to be saying this but, 2009 was a great year in music, at least for me it was. I discovered the new,the old and in between. As in introduction for me and you I thought I should start by sharing my favorite music that i discovered in 2009, ready for much granduer masterial in 2010.

My Top Five Albums of 2009:

5)How It Ends
DeVotchKa-2004
If you have seen the super film Little Miss Sunshine, then you have already fallen in love with the song How it ends, the surging blurps in the introduction also made an appearance in a Gerber comercial, but every song is equipped with surging forigen melodies and are sure to create happiness in your ears.

4)Humbug
The Arctic Monkeys-2009
I think this album was highly overlooked by most fans of the band. If they even bothered to give it a listen, they probally were overcame with thoughts of dissapproval. And I'm not going to lie, this was also my first gut reaction to this album. But i follow the second chance rule (If you dont like the album the first time through, give it a day and a re-listen) and it always works. If you give the album a second listen you will find a refined style the Monkeys picked up that untastfull listeners would overlook. They adapted a fuller more hard rock sound accompanied by the charming Arctic Monkeys lyrics we fans are accosomed to.

3)Fashion Nugget
CAKE-1996
Cake has become a classic for me. Catchy and fully weird lyrics that never fail to describe life as it is, and never fail to be full of fun.

2)Matt&Kim
Matt&Kim-2006
One of those second chance albums that has launched Matt and Kim to one of my very most favorite bands of all time. It all started with my friend gifting the song Daylight off their album Grand, and ended with me falling in love with this band. They also describe life in their lyrics accompanied by beautifully enquizitive vocals and catchy beats in they background. This album is full of things you could never, ever find on any radio station. Totally original and full of heart, personifies what music is all about.

1)Merriweather Post Pavillion
Animal Collective-2009
The inspiration behind this find was unfortunately, as much as i'd like to deny it, inspired by a crush I had on fellow music lover. He exposed me to Animal Collective and not much else. But unlike him, animal collective will stick arround for a very long time. The use of very beautiful Tech-no beats combines with beautiful lyrics and style. Everyword uttered by the group has stuck with me, attached to a gaggle of wonderful melodies and harmonies of pure fun joy and excitement. This description is a lame underexaggeration of what this band is truly capable of. So I am attaching a link to a live video for my favorie song In The Flowers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIAlRvbEnXw

No comments:

Post a Comment